Moving can feel like chaos, but it doesn’t have to. Careful planning is the key to a relaxing move. In today’s post, we’ll go over 8 ways to minimize your biggest sources of moving anxiety. We’ll cover everything from packing tips to stress management techniques.
Let’s get started!
1. Make an Itinerary
If you can move into your new home before you officially move out of your old one, you’ll be able to plan a more leisurely move. If that’s not possible, you can still save time and avoid rushing around by making an itinerary.
Make your to-do lists time-specific. For example, you might make separate lists for things that need to be done:
- Far in advance
- A week before your move
- On moving day
If you plan on enlisting the help of family and friends, it can’t hurt to ask them early so you can work them into your itinerary and make sure they’re free when you need them.
2. Make Time in Your Schedule
Set aside some extra time. It can really help ease the stress of a move! For example, if you have kids, you might want to find a babysitter to watch them while you pack. If you can, ask for a day or two off work, or clear a weekend so you have at least a few days with no other obligations.
If making extra time simply isn’t an option for you, you might consider working with residential movers who offer packing and/or unpacking services. At ANC Movers, we can customize your moving package so you can pack as much or as little as you like.
3. Get Rid of Excess Stuff
You’ve probably heard it before: a cluttered, disorganized environment can make you feel stressed out and frazzled. That’s why packing often feels so hectic. Counter the chaos by using your move as an opportunity to take control.
This is a great time to declutter your life by getting rid of items you no longer need. Not only will this leave you less to pack up and move, but it’s also freeing and empowering to purge your life of unwanted stuff.
Try this popular strategy: As you begin to pack, sort everything into 3 categories:
- Things to keep and take with you
- Things to sell or donate to charity
- Things to throw away
This will greatly reduce the number of things you need to pack and help you feel more organized at the same time.
4. Take Time for Yourself
Instead of trying to ignore moving anxiety altogether, many people find it helpful to set aside time for things that help them relax. Whether it’s a cup of coffee, a warm bath, or a walk in the park, it’s important to make time for the things you enjoy.
If you’re a planner, make time in your itinerary for these activities. They’ll give you a chance to recharge so you’ll have more energy and focus when it’s time to get back to work.
Tip: Try to get enough sleep every night. Experts say lack of sleep causes your body to release more cortisol (the stress hormone). It also affects your brain’s ability to function properly, which means you’re more likely to make mistakes, forget things, or make poor decisions. No matter how stressful your move gets, your health comes first!
5. Pack with a Purpose
Packing strategically is one of the most important ways to minimize moving anxiety. If you’re doing your own packing, it’s important to pack in an organized way so you know where all your belongings are and when you need to box them up. Here are some packing tips:
- Start early — at least 2-4 weeks before the day you move. If you have a lot of stuff, you might want to start even earlier.
- Mark the boxes you know you’ll need first with a color or symbol you’ll recognize. Then you’ll know where to find essentials like towels and toilet paper when you get to your new home.
- Designate a packing station. Find a convenient corner of your house to keep packing materials, markers, and tape. Everything you need will be easy to grab quickly.
- Label all your boxes — and label each one on two sides if you can.
- Avoid used boxes. It’s not worth the risk for several reasons.
- Pack a suitcase. It might sound silly, but many people find it helpful to pack a suitcase with everything you would normally need for a weekend trip. Include bathroom stuff, medications, and a few sets of clothes. That way, you can complete the packing process with the knowledge that you won’t accidentally box up an item you really need.
- Research how to pack various delicate items, like dishes. Or ask your movers if they offer packing services.
6. Have a Plan for After the Move Too
It’s easy to focus so much on the whirlwind of moving that you’re left a little stumped and even overwhelmed when it’s time to unpack in your new home. Depending on when you arrive, the best strategy might be to simply unpack a few essentials, get a good night sleep, and save the rest for tomorrow. Here’s where it helps if you’ve labeled your boxes and packed a suitcase.
A good rule of thumb is to start by unpacking:
- Bathroom items: toilet paper, shower curtain, bath towels, soap, shampoo, toothbrush/toothpaste, garbage bin, etc.
- Kitchen items: food, dishwashing supplies, dishes, utensils, paper towels, etc.
- Your bed: So you can sleep like a baby on your first night in your new home. At ANC Movers, we’ll assemble your bed for you at no extra charge!
7. Choose the Right Moving Company
Are you planning to hire a moving company? Working with professional movers is the best way to avoid damaging furniture and other heavy items — or worse, injuring yourself. Professional movers have the equipment and experience to safely move your things.
Plus, your time is valuable. Think about how much you’d really save if you try to handle the whole move yourself.
Look for a moving company you really trust to handle your move. At ANC Movers we:
- Are fully licensed and carry a $2 million dollar insurance policy to protect you
- Can give you a written estimate
- Invest in employees instead of using day laborers
- Have more than 15 years of experience in the moving industry
8. Take a Deep Breath and Embrace the Process
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Moving is stressful and sometimes brings up strong emotions. There may be no way to eliminate moving anxiety completely, but these guidelines can minimize stress and help you stay more in control.
Are you ready to get started? We would love to give you a free, no-obligation quote on moving services. Or, if you have questions, we’d love to answer them! Contact ANC Movers today.